- The Peninsular Castle and Island Castle in Trakai were started to be built in the middle of 14th century – and finished at the beginning of the 15th century. These castles are important defensive architecture and historical monuments. The Peninsular castle was first mentioned in the period of 1387 – 1392, in the “List of Russian Towns”. It was noted in the afore mentioned documents that there was a stone castle in Old Trakai, which was situated by the lake in Trakai; there also is a castle with two stone walls and a timber upper castle, and a stone castle on the Island. The present Trakai Peninsular is surrounded by three lakes (Galve, Bernardinai and Totoriskes) and is compound of separate large islands or groups of islands. This way Trakai is portrayed in the old maps and plans of the town. The separate parts of the town were joined into one unit by the fortification and defence system of the town, also by the winter and summer roads with dikes, wades and bystreets.
- Vilnius, Lithuania